View our 8 surprising facts about the energy we use.
- Australia consumes 0.9% of the world’s energy.
- 15% of Australian homes have solar, the highest rate of household solar panel installation in the world.
- 15% of Australia’s electricity comes from renewable sources.
- Heating and cooling account for about half of the energy used in a typical home.
- Roughly 10-15% of our electricity bill is for lighting.
- Most households have an average of 8 appliances left on stand-by (some appliances continue to use about 75% of the energy it uses while actually on).
- Washing clothes at 60ºC uses almost twice the energy as a 40ºC wash.
- 90% of the energy used by traditional bulbs is wasted in producing heat.
Data sources: www.abs.gov.au, www.yourhome.gov.au and www.enerdata.net